This is one of my favorite “take-a-long” dishes. It’s easy to prep ahead and it stays fresh for a long time.
I start with a basic bean salad recipe and then add pasta and eggplant to expand the recipe at a very low cost.
MIX IT UP
• Add 1 cup of Broccoli or 1 cup or Roasted Yellow Squash.
• Add 2 cups of chopped cooked Chicken or Turkey to the Pasta for a meal.
• Switch the fresh Italian parsley with Fresh Basil or Fresh Cilantro for a different flavor.
• Add ½ of a diced Red Onion or ½ cup of chopped green onions to the Bean Salad.
• Substitute toasted home made Italian Bread Croutons for the Pasta.
• Substitute 4 cups of Couscous for the Pasta.
• Substitute 4 cups of Wild Rice for the pasta.
• Try mixing up the beans with drained Fava Beans or Black Beans.
2 Way Italian Bean & Parsley Salad + Pasta
Good Points: low in saturated fat, low in sugar, high in thiamin
Nutrition Facts: 12 servings of 212 calories, calories from ft 33, total fat 3.7g, saturated fat 0.5g, cholesterol 38mg, sodium 178mg, total carbohydrates 36.3g, dietary fiber 4.0g, sugars 1.1g, protein 9.1g, vitamin A 5%, calcium 3%, vitamin C 13%, iron 16% (based on 2000 calorie diet)
- 1 box of Penne Rigatoni Pasta (the ridges hold onto the dressing)
- ½ of an Eggplant, chopped into bite size pieced
- 1 can of Chick Peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of Red Kidney Beans , rinsed and drained
- ½ cup of chopped Fresh Italian Parsley
- 1/3 of a Green Pepper, diced
- 2 tbsps. Capers
- ½ of a Garlic Clove, diced
- 2 tbsps. Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsps. Olive Oil
- 4 tbsps. Water
- 1 tsp. Mixed Italian Seasonings
- Mix the Garlic, Balsamic Vinegar, Olive Oil, Water and Italian Seasonings in a large bowl.
- Add the Chickpeas, Red Kidney Beans, Italian Parsley, Green Peppers and Capers.
- Toss the ingredients to coat with the dressing.
- Let the mixture sit on the counter while you cook the Pasta and Eggplant. (You could also use leftover roasted Eggplant.)
- Boil the Pasta per the instructions on the box.
- Add the chopped Eggplant to the boiling Pasta about 3 minutes after the Pasta went into the boiling water.
- When the Pasta is cooked, but still al dente’, drain the Pasta and Eggplant.
- Rinse in cold water.
- Allow the Pasta and Eggplant to come down to room temperature before mixing with the Beans. Add the Pasta and Eggplant.
- Toss to coat.
- Chill before serving.
© Copyright 2011-2012 – Susan P. Berry – Chubby Chicks Health Club – All Rights Reserved
Tags: 10 Minute Recipe
, Bean Salad
, Chick Peas
, healthy Foods
, Healthy Recipe
, Low Cost
, Low Fat Recipe
, Pasta Salad
, Pasta, Grains & Rice